Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Drunken State of Wakefulness (or, A Day in the Life of a Callcenter Boy)



**The word "circadian" is a 20th-century invention. It was coined in 1959 from the Latin "circa" (around) + "diem" (a day).
It refers to events occurring within a 24-hour period, in the span of a full (24-hour) day, as in a circadian rhythm.
(http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6766)

 I got home from work about 3 hours ago and I am still up writing this blog; I am a bit sleepy so please forgive me if there are typos that I might have missed after I publish this. <sheepish grin> It's been a long dragging day at the office. And let me say, a "day" in a callcenter person's life is not circadian** -specific(my own term, actually<grins>). In my case, it's from 9pm to 6am. And that should be it for me for the next two months or so, then it would be changed again. No permanent schedules in this kind of job.

Last night, I arrived as usual 15 minutes early for my shift. Only two of my officemates were there. Nico and Tisha (not their real names, to protect privacy) were already preparing their tools of our trade - and that includes but not limited to the headset, which to me is our "crown of glory and agony". <Laughs>. Now these two guys have had been with the company for longer than I have been; I do admire their work ethic. It was really good they're already there, at least I wasn't alone "on the floor", a callcenter term for the agents' working area. Our day started smoothly since it was still a Sunday for them and we were what we call the "opening" agents - those who answer the first calls of the day. We open their day (the callers') so it is assumed we should be upbeat and perky although we are on the other side of the globe and just about a little more or less 24 hour time difference. Haha! So much for acting as if sunlight is streaming from our office window (by the way, we don't have windows in our building; a compact structure with centralized airconditioning) while assisting their various needs. There were times I'm just slumping on the office chair, but still on upbeat voice mode nevertheless. <Smiles>.

Anyone who says that a callcenter agent's life is a breeze, well it's not totally true. A lot of things people hear about us callboys and callgirls are just hype. I guess there are more hardships than what have collectively been assumed as the good life. Firstly we have to be awake when our body says "sleep" and don't forget those difficult callers who can drain our energies appeasing, pleasing them, making them happy. I mean, here's where the "selling" ourselves take place. Haha! The challenge to bend some people's view/s, previous bad experiences with the product and/or the company we represent, into positive results that should be a win-win situation between both parties is not just a walk in the park. AND about the big salary hype about callcenters, all I can say that one would get paid exactly for what he/she had really strived hard for. It's real hard work. And amidst it all, there's nothing much more rewarding than to know that we are able to help a person regardless where he/she is in the world. I can imagine the unseen smiles our callers are wearing everytime we are able to resolve their issue over the phone and made them feel they're valued. I would also do the same way too. If you love helping people, then I bet this kind of job is for you!

Have a great day!**(remember, not circadian-specific,ok? hehehe)





No comments:

Post a Comment