Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened after a Calamity



A tsunami scare made a multitude of people stupid in downtown Cebu City. It was an after-effect of an earthquake of about Intensity 5-strength that made all this possible. The earthquake happened just right before noon yesterday. I woke up to my room shaking as if jolted by an angry giant. Naturally enough I went to the most structurally secure part of the house and stayed there till the tremors stopped. After that, since it's just about noon and finding it kind of difficult to go back to sleep, I just watched a movie. Right before it ended, I heard some commotion outside. I saw people milling about in our neighborhood. Overhearing from the talks below (as I was in the terrace), I got words like, "tsunami", "flood", "calamity" and other kinda scary words of the doomsday..I was kind of like, "For real??" So I switched on the TV and got from the news that everything (as far as Cebu City is concerned) is ok. I went back outside; people still are kind of bit agitated, seems like everyone's readying up for something. Then the texts came from friends, etc. telling me to be very careful.. or to pack up some important things,just in case,etc...to that effect. Some were even texting that water from the sea had already reached SM City Cebu. I was like, "Huh? If ever that's true, there should have been at least a calamity siren or warning sounds that can be heard all around. Thank God I don't live near the center of city wherein I had soon found out everything went haywire. LOL! Even sane, practical people could have been affected by that very apparent mass hysteria it caused! Looking back i can't help feeling amused at how some poeople might have realized by now how silly they were to be falling prey to such baseless rumors of a destructive tidal wave.

Till next time.
<signed>
The Callcenter Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment